• A big welcome to our new members. Please book & pay on HELLO CLUB for all activities, meetups and workshops. If unsure ask your Activity Volunteer Coordinator or a Committee Member. A reminder to check our website, www.thewomensshed.org Hello Club and BAND (members chat platform) for news and updated information.
• CWS AGM: Our 5th AGM was held on Sat 16 Sept. Thank you to those 20 members who attended. The incoming Management Committee now comprises: Pres Deilia Murray, Sec Kat Rajak, Tres Peta Marshall, General Members Karin Redding, Sharon Thomson, Lynne Gurn, Judi Walker, Julie Ferrier, Carrol Benfer. A big thank you to the outgoing Committee members for all their hard work during the last year. Come and chat to Deilia if you are interested in assisting with other Shed tasks.
• YOGA DAY RETREAT WITH SIMONE: CWS and Simone have planned a Yoga Day Retreat, Sun 22 October 2023, from 10am-3pm, $120pp. There are 12 places available, so if you are keen to take time out for yourself; please call Simone direct on 0408 259150 to book and pay for your place (asap) see flyer below.
• NEW TOOL SHED SIGN: We were required to install a safety sign in front of the Tool Shed, this is a reminder for our members to ensure the roller door is completely opened right to the top to avoid accidental closure.
• TUESDAY & WEDNESDAY WALK GROUPS: Welcome to new walkers. Tuesday group enjoyed their annual spring wildflower away walk in Noosa National Park through lovely bushland tracks from Sunshine Beach to Alexandria Bay and return, followed by coffee at a local Sunshine Beach to Alexandria Bay. The away walk for the Wednesday group took in Mt Emu walk/climb and surrounds, wildflowers spotting as well as a few whales on the horizon. Coffee afterwards at Pool café Peregian Springs.
• OTT (ON THE TOOLS): Tues 10 Oct from 10-12, we will have Russell the Induction Officer from the Coolum Men’s Shed provide us with training and induction for some of our tools and equipment. Come and join us and learn how to use the tools with confidence. (please book in so we know you are coming)
Are you a keen and experienced woodworker in the use of a variety of tools? We are looking for more members or women tradies who can instruct on a regular basis and share their skills with our group of eager learners. For those who have not been to our Tool Shed, you can learn how to use a variety of tools, so you can bring your own project to make / mend or join in with our projects. We adhere to safe work practices- Induction, closed shoes, eye protection, masks etc.
• CWS BOOK LIBRARY/BOOK SWAP: We have an extensive range of soft and hard cover books at the Shed Book Library. You are welcome to borrow or swap. (no donations required at the moment)
• BRAINIACS – Cards & games: Don’t be fooled by the name of the group. Our members test their skills in Canasta, 500, Philadelphia, Mah-jong and other card & board games. Lots of fun and laughter twice a week, Thursdays @1pm, Saturdays @1pm. BYO lunch or a plate to share. Mah-jong will be played on the 4th Thursday of the month.
• DRAWING GROUP – Sketchy Gals: Beginners welcome, come and join us twice per month on Saturdays 10.30-12.30pm, to try different drawing and art techniques and share tips and ideas. This group is essentially self-taught to practice drawing skills through shared experience. Each meeting has a suggested exercise / project topic or you are welcome to bring your own project, please bring your own materials.
• CREATIVE CONNECTIONS - Beginners Sewing: our sewing group have been very busy, improving their sewing skills, mending items & starting new projects. Elizabeth will assist in all manner of things related to sewing. Bring your own machine or use our machine or overlocker, on the 4th Thursday of the month from 11am – 1pm.
• CREATIVE CONNECTIONS: Come and join us the 2nd Thurs each month from 11am -1pm and bring along your creative endeavours - art, craft, knitting, crochet, macrame projects or a special project you would like to develop. Share and learn new skills with other like-minded Sheddies over a coffee/tea & chat.
• SHED JAZZ: Is a joint project between the Coolum Women’s and Men’s Shed. Jazz musician’s get together and jam each Monday 1-3pm. If you are an experienced jazz musician or singer who is interested in joining them, pop in and listen or contact Ian on 0428 598 465…..no tuition is provided.
• FUNDRAISING FOR CWS: Would you like to help us raise funds with minimal effort? Coolum Womens Shed is registered for Containers For Change. All cans, glass and plastic bottles marked with a 10c stamp can be recycled. It is located in Lysaght St opposite the German Bakehouse in the Coolum Industrial Estate. Our CWS code is
# C10120544, $$$ are then allocated to our account. We have a Containers for Change bag at the Shed where you can leave your cans/bottles and we can deposit them for you.
• ACTIVITIES and VOLUNTEERING AT CWS: If you happen to have expertise or special skills you would like to share and are keen to volunteer please contact us at email@example.com (A reminder we don't have a contact phone number and no full time admin support). All activities & events are conducted by our team of CWS volunteers & without their support, we cannot conduct our low-cost activities. Several tasks are required to set up, supervise, check attendance and support the activity. If you have skills you would like to share eg kayaking, tools, mosaics, outdoor activities, or new ideas for activities & workshops and are interested in becoming an Activity Volunteer Coordinator, please contact Deilia.
Kind regards Deilia and the Management Committee.
The Coolum Womens Shed Inc. IA58358 CWS Newsletter August 2023
Greetings Sheddies, the June newsletter is a little late due to a number of our crew being away and taking well-earned holidays. Welcome back vols and members who have travelled to the far corners of the world and around Australia.
Kind regards Deilia and the Management Committee.
The Coolum Womens Shed Inc. IA58358 CWS Newsletter June 2023
Kind regards Deilia and the Management Committee.
Well Easter, the school holidays and two public holidays are over; we hope you enjoyed the holidays/break and had fun with family and friends. Welcome to those new members attending Brainiacs and the walk group. Are you eager to improve your fitness after all those easter eggs and hot cross buns? We offer a selection of fitness/wellness activities, so come along and try our fitness classes, yoga or walking as outlined below. Remember to book activities on Hello Club.
Greetings Sheddies and happy Easter
A big welcome to new members who joined the Walk Group, Sketchy Gals (drawing), Brainiacs (cards & games), Belly Dancing and OTT (On the Tools). We are very pleased to meet women from all over the Sunshine Coast who are now participate across a range of our activities.
Management Committee and our Volunteer Coordinators look forward to an exciting 2023.
Kind regards Deilia
We hope you all enjoyed the festive season and had lots of fun with family and friends. What a great start to 2023 - Shed activities recommenced the week of Mon 16 Jan with members eager to get back to their regular activities, especially those that involve getting fit after the festive season. Welcome new members.
CWS MEMBER SURVEY: This short Survey / Questionnaire has been posted on CWS website, BAND and emailed to current members. Please take the time to provide important feedback so we can continue to expand and provide quality activities. Go to 2023 survey page
IT TRAINING SESSIONS FOR HELLO CLUB AND BAND: we understand the challenge of learning our tech & booking systems. For Volunteer Coordinators and members, we will hold individual IT tech sessions at the Shed each fortnight commencing Thurs 9 Feb. from 10.30am. Book a timeslot on
Hello Club and the lovely Georgia and Ric will guide you in these sessions.
DEMO DAYS: Georgia will demonstrate Mosaic Crochet at Creative Connections Thursday 9 Feb. Don’t miss our first Demo Day, so book in on Hello Club. A Demo Days chat group has been set up on Band so you can add activities you would like to see covered.
SHED SPRING CLEAN / WORKING BEE: all hands-on deck for our working bee. Time for a clear out…we have accumulated a lot of stuff, equipment and goodies (tech terms). We have allotted 2 days for the spring clean - Sundays 12 & 19 Feb from 9am-3pm. If you have a few hours to spare and would like to help out, even making coffee/tea for the workers. Book in on Hello Club so we know how many helpers we have on the day. We will hold a car boot sale a little later.
HELLO CLUB - ACTIVITIES, MEETUPS AND WORKSHOPS (SCHEDULED BOOKED): REMINDER always book & pay on Hello Club, if you are unsure how to do this ask your activity volunteer coordinator or a member of the Committee. Link for Hello Club on our website www.thewomenshed.org always check our website for latest updates.
BAND: (app,chat platform for each of our groups) when you become a member you can then access Band after you receive an invite to that group. Remember to check the FEED as well as the CHATS for general CWS updates and information.
VOLUNTEERING AT CWS: our activities & events are conducted by our team of volunteers. Without their support, we cannot conduct our low-cost activities. We require 2 Volunteer Coordinators per regular activity, (several tasks are required to set up, supervise, check attendance and support the activity). If you have skills you would like to share, new ideas for activities & workshops and interested in becoming an activity Volunteer Coordinator, please contact Deilia.
Management Committee and our volunteer coordinators are looking forward to an exciting 2023.
Kind regards Deilia
The Coolum Womens Shed Inc. IA58358
Seasons Greetings Sheddies.
Well, another year is almost over and what a busy year it has been. Highlights included Tool Shed operational, kayaks and trailer, new activities, new members, friendships formed, improved systems (ongoing), social events, promotion of CWS activities, presentations to community groups, great support from Coolum Men’s Shed, generous donations and lots of fun.
We look forward to 2023 filled with great opportunities, good health, and happiness for all our members and their families. Management Committee and our activity volunteer coordinators wish you all a terrific festive season and wonderful new year.
CWS festive season closing dates: The Shed will be closed for scheduled activities from Sunday 18 Dec until Monday 16 Jan 2023 (except for Shed Jazz and Boxfit on Mon 19 Dec). A well-earned break for the Committee and activity volunteer coordinators.
Xmas Party: Our annual end of year Christmas celebration (subsidised by CWS) took place at the Maroochy River Golf Club with 26 enthusiastic mini golfers testing their skills. Great opportunity for members from our various groups to meet and mingle. A fun night with pizza, lots of laughs and many holes in one. Look out golfers.
CWS Social outing: Menopause the Musical at The J Theatre, Noosa Junction. Thirteen members made it to the rescheduled show. Dinner at Mr Drifter, then the show, very cleverly done with great humour, lots of laughs & great company, (social outings such as this, can take place for special shows or events – we put out an expression of interest to members, purchase tickets, then members usually book and pay on Hello Club).
Volunteering at CWS: our activities & events are conducted by our team of volunteers. Without their support, we cannot conduct our low-cost activities. We require 2 volunteer coordinators per regular activity, (several tasks are required to set up, supervise and support the activity). If you have skills you would like to share, new ideas for activities & workshops and interested in becoming an activity volunteer coordinator, please contact Deilia.
Demo Days: we are planning to run specific demo sessions in the new year, during existing activities, eg Creative Connections, On The Tools. A Demo Days chat group has been set up on Band. Please add your ideas and topics you would like to see covered.
Training sessions for Hello Club and Band: we understand the challenge of learning our tech & booking systems, with members providing directions whilst at activities. We are very keen to make these processes easier, so we plan to hold group & individual tech sessions on days we are at the Shed. We will keep you posted of proposed dates.
Hello Club: Activities, meetups and workshops (schedules & bookings): REMINDER always book & pay on Hello Club, if you are unsure how to do this ask your activity volunteer coordinator or a member of the Committee. Link for Hello Club on our website www.thewomenshed.org always check our website for latest updates.
Band: when you become a member you can then access Band (chat platform for each of our groups). You will receive an invite to the Band app, if you are not yet on this, please ask another member to invite you, as it is extremely useful. Remember to check the FEED as well as the CHATS for general CWS updates and information.
See you in 2023, kind regards
Our AGM took place in September and the new Management Committee is hard at work. I am enjoying the role of President and would like to acknowledge the outgoing Committee for their great work & contributions to the development of CWS.
We will ensure CWS continues to provide opportunities for Connection through Recreation for our members. Much work is undertaken behind the scenes, which may go unnoticed but is vitally important to maintain & develop CWS into a strong & vibrant community-based organisation. I look forward to meeting more members and working with you all to ensure we share & learn new skills, try new activities, make friends and above all, have fun.!!
Activities, meetups and workshops (scheduled booked): reminder to always book on Hello Club and that we endeavour to run these activities with 2 volunteer coordinators to support and supervise the activity (we aim for 3). This is a safety measure that forms part of our risk management process. If you are interested in becoming an activity volunteer coordinator please contact Deilia.
Band: (chat platform for each of our groups) when you become a member you can then access Band after you receive an invite to that group. Remember to check the FEED as well as the CHATS for general CWS updates and information.
Brainiacs: 1pm Saturday cards/games group continues to attract new members and we have just started another group on Thursdays at 1.00pm. Come along, have fun and test your skills.
Book Clubs: Library Book Packs – a reminder if you are a member of any CWS Book Clubs, please remember to pay your fee by adding it from the extra’s menu in the booking system – $12.50 per year. The book pack service costs CWS over $100 a year per club.
Walking group: every Tuesday a group of very keen women enjoy the varied walks. The coffee is always a treat at the end. The November Away Walk will be held on Tues 8 Nov, further information will be posted on Hello Club Walk Group.
Sketchy gals: drawing meetup; interested getting started in drawing or specific techniques? Beginners welcome to this self-paced group, each meeting will have a basic topic. You can bring your own project or suggest tutorials or activities. BYO materials.
Donation: recently we received a donation of $605 from a Sunshine Coast Council Senior Engineer. He raises funds for community groups and Not for Profits, during September it was Womens Health Week, so he chose Coolum Women’s Shed. We were delighted to receive this unexpected and generous donation.
Tool Shed: what a great job Sheddies are doing - handmade name installed above roller door, repurposed rolling cabinets for power tools work benches, stand for outside sink, repair kitchen cupboard door and the mosaic letterbox is almost complete. Sessions currently: - A meetup is an informal session that can be self-directed or you can join in with projects we are working on. You can use equipment and scraps for small projects but for larger ones you need to source your own materials. Please do not use any equipment alone and without familiarising yourself with the safety instructions and the manual (all kept in the folder at the shed). As we progress, a record of Inductions and Tool competencies will be developed.
CWS furniture: we have acquired another Poang chair and now have a spare couch to give away, the one in the main hall of the Community Centre. If you are interested, please chat to a Management Committee member.
Coolum Men’s Shed: Saturday 29 Oct 9.30am, celebrations for their 10-year anniversary. Along with a dedication of a Memorial Garden for past members, there will be a garage sale and morning tea. CWS have been invited to this whole day event.
First Fridays Social Meetup: on hold until next year. Even though this is a social gathering we need 2 volunteers to organise, check the CWS bookings and lead the evening get-togethers. If you are interested in taking on this role, please let one of the management committee know
Xmas celebration: Yes Xmas is coming and we will be organising an activity/celebration for our members, possibly early December, details to come.
Most activities are run from the Coolum Men's Shed Community Centre. 26 Research Street, Coolum 4573 QLD
Our purpose - connection through recreation